Classroom Solutions > Brent Vasicek > Mr. Vasicek's Classroom Music Playlist

Mr. Vasicek's Classroom Music Playlist

Music 3 renjith KrishnanAfter reading my post "Music to Manage Your Classroom," some of you wanted to know some good tunes to play in your classroom. Grab your iTunes gift card and get ready to download some of the songs I use regularly in my classroom. Enjoy!

Photo courtesy of Rinjith Krishnan.

Come-In Songs — Bouncy songs to start the day off right.

Morning Kickoff — These songs provide a short, interactive way to start the day as soon as that bell rings. In my class we accompany the songs with motions and peer interaction. Positive touch each day can really help to build relationships (see Dr. Becky Bailey).

Writing Time — During writing time, I play slow-paced songs that have no recognizable lyrics, which would create a distraction. I play these selections ONLY when the students should be writing. The last song is ALWAYS the same so they know they need to wrap up their thoughts. Works like a charm . . . just like Pavlov's experiment.

Subject Anchors — I use these songs to indicate the start of the next subject. The songs signal what books and folders students will need for the next lesson.

Timed Transitions — I find TV theme songs work great for this.

• Thirtysomething theme song — one minute  (The link goes to an extended version of the song.)
  • ER TV theme song — one minute
  • Malcolm in the Middle TV theme song — 30 seconds (Again, this links to an extended version of the song.)
  • A reader's comment on my first post about music alerted me to this Web site as a source of free downloads of commercial jingles, video game soundtracks, and TV theme songs.

End of the Day

Class Songs — A song we pick to sing every Friday during our reflection and share time, which we call "Highs and Lows."

Woofer_music_03 Photo by: Salvatore Vuono

Dance Favorites

Other Favorites

Feel free to use any of these playlist to manage your own classroom. If you are a teacher in my building, however, I respectfully ask you refrain from using the playlists, as the Pavlovian conditioning is powerful and difficult to unprogram.

What cool songs do you use?

2I2 Trademark 2010 Vasicek Get that tune out of my head,

Brent

www.mrvasicek.com

2i2 is a trademark of Mr. Vasicek's class to symbolize living to your potential and doing it with Integrity.

Comments

Follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed.

• #1 Sarah F

Sunday, August 28, 2011 at 07:55 AM

Thanks for the great song ideas! I went to a Kim Sutton math wkshp & she gave out song ideas for coloring time - "Crayons" by Ziggy Marley & Diana Ross and for tranition times/clean up time we use "William Tell Overture" to keep them moving.

• #2 Megan

Thursday, August 11, 2011 at 02:27 PM

How do your kids handle the days when there may be a substitute? Do you have a student leader in charge of the music then? Just curious. I'm super excited about trying this with my students this year.

• #3 Susan

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 at 04:08 PM

This is my favorite post of yours. I just got to hear Dr. Marica Tate, author of "Worksheets Don't Grow Dendrites" and she spoke of the importance of music in your classroom. Thanks for sharing these great resources!

Susan

Thanks so much, Susan. I am glad you enjoyed the article. I have not read "Worksheets Don't Grow Dendrites," but from experience the title is a great summary. You are welcome! Brent

• #4 Teri B.

Monday, February 28, 2011 at 07:56 PM

This is a great idea! My students always want to listen to music, but turning on the radio is too problematic. Great list! Thank you.

Teri,
    And sometimes I will have iPod days. These are earned with very strict criteria. But they can listen to iPods or mp3's during any independent work time.
    ~Brent

• #5 Laura

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 at 02:05 PM

Musical cues sounds like a great idea! My sixth grade teacher used to play classical music while we were doing "seat work" and posted the names of the songs along the top of the classroom. I still remember some of those songs today when I hear them! I will definitely try this out in my classroom. Thanks for the great song suggestions as well when when you use them. I am sure the students will love to add to the list as well.

Laura~
    Oh yes they do. They often are bringing in music that they wish me to play during the day. Enjoy!
    Brent

• #6 Cyndee Crawford

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 at 12:40 PM

This sounds like a great idea. I'll have to try it out.

Cyndee,
    Thank you for reading. Hope you have as much fun with it as I do!
    Brent

• #7 Sarah Miller

Friday, January 28, 2011 at 08:37 PM

You are amazing! From "Your Three Words" to your morning and wrap up routines, I have been hooked for the last hour on viewing your clasroom. Thank you for the inspiration and ideas! I teach 4th grade in CT and love to use music in my classroom as well. I think I might try the Pavlovian conditioning with next years group from the start! (-: I love to use the Casper Slide, the Macarena, or other dance songs to regain energy during standardized testing, immediately after the testing time is up. I play Mozart or Jim Brickman during writing time.

Sarah~

Awesome! I am glad you found something useful from those videos. I really need to get a couple more routines up there for y'all to see. Thanks for filling my bucket.
    ~Brent

• #8 Andrea Zickuhr

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 at 08:44 PM

I play Day-O by Harry Belafonte (made famous by the movie Beetlejuice) at the end of the day! That is my fifth-graders' cue to start packing up for the day. I play Respect by Aretha Franklin as the cue to get our chairs into a circle for morning meeting. I love using musical cues! The kids know what to do, and I don't have to say a word! Thank you for posting this. It gave me a lot of new ideas for my classroom!

Andrea~
    You are welcome. Thank you for the Day-O. That is a great song!!!
    ~Brent

• #9 Aurora Risdon

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 at 07:20 AM

These are so fantastic. I am from the US but teach Special Education in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. My classroom uses music each day and I complied some kid friendly adult songs.

Some of our favorites include Good Day Sunshine by the Beatles, Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes by Paul Simon, Everybody Likes to Cha Cha Cha by Sam Cooke and Ooby Dooby by Roy Orbison.

Aurora~
    I can't wait to search for some of your play list songs on the Internet when I go home this evening! Thanks for adding to the list.
    ~Brent

Special Interests:
Brain Based Learning
Character Education
Community Building
Music in the Classroom

Brent's Bio

The opinions expressed in Classroom Solutions are strictly those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Scholastic Inc.