Classroom Solutions > Allie Magnuson > Teach ABCs With Ease: Lists for Teaching the Alphabet

Teach ABCs With Ease: Lists for Teaching the Alphabet

ABCsWhen you're a preschool or kindergarten teacher, you spend all year thinking about letters, letter sounds, and anything with the beginning sound of the letter you're currently teaching. If you dream in letters and have nightmares trying to come up with words, objects, and activities for letters (especially Q, X, Y, and Z), you're in luck — here's a set of alphabetical lists for all things ABCs.

Letter Sorting Containers

Do you know where your letters are? To start you off, the slide show below lists containers your students can use to sort letter sound objects. (The size of the container, of course, depends on the size of the objects.)

To make it even more fun, and to provide more of a challenge, have students say the letter sounds of the objects that aren't right and feed them to the Sound Muncher (a decorated trash can with a swinging door).

Sound Muncher for Teaching Letter Sounds    Sound Muncher for Teaching Letter Sounds

Letter Objects

Of course, first you need objects to sort. Here are some object ideas for all the letter sounds:

Letter Movements

Get the kids moving to learn their letters! Here's a list of movements for every letter of the alphabet.

Letter Pretend

Here's an alphabetical list of things students can pretend to do, either for a short exercise or a longer play period:

Letter Art, Crafts, and Activities

Eeny, meeny, miney, mo, catch a letter and explore. Have fun with letter activities as a whole group, in small groups, or in centers.

Letter Talk

Do you hear what I hear? Talk or write about subjects with the beginning sound of each letter.

(Examples: "Describe an alien from outer space"; "Have you ever been stung by a bumblebee?"; "Name something that you would take camping"; "What is your favorite thing to drink?")

Letter Foods

What comes in all sizes, shapes, and sounds? A buffet of letters. Following is a list of foods from A–Z.

Additional Resources

Here for your printable convenience are:

Alphabet Lists By Type

and

Alphabet Lists By Letter

Many of these ideas, including the Sound Muncher, came from the book Alphabet Soup. I have also assembled booklists that focus on the whole alphabet and specific letters.

For more on teaching the alphabet, Scholastic.com has a wealth of lesson plans, including the "Alphabet Adventure Lesson Plan" and "Letter Fun With Food!" and Bright Hub offers "Alphabet Activities for Preschoolers," "Letter of the Week Preschool Ideas," and more. You might also check out articles like "Exercise the Alphabet Outside" on Education.com, and the printable worksheets at Enchanted Learning

Do you have anything to add to any of these lists? Comment below.

Have a B-U-T-FUL weekend!

~Allie

Learning Letters With Alphabet Cards Learning Letters With Alphabet Cards

Learning Letters With Alphabet Cards Learning Letters With Alphabet Cards

If you enjoyed this article, please link to it using the following html:

<a href="http://blogs.scholastic.com/classroom_solutions/2011/01/teach-abcs-with-ease-lists-for-teaching-the-alphabet.html">Teach ABCs With Ease: Lists for Teaching the Alphabet in Preschool and Kindergarten/a>

Comments

Follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed.

• #1 Allie Magnuson

Saturday, February 05, 2011 at 11:55 PM

Hi Shuguar,
    I am glad you enjoyed the ideas. I agree with music and videos helping kids learn. Stay tuned for an upcoming post about incorporating music into the curriculum. Thanks for reading.
    ~Allie

• #2 Shuguar Mansun

Friday, February 04, 2011 at 11:02 PM

You have alot of great ideas up there. I helped my kids with a Phonics Video fro Songs of Higher Learning. Music and Video really helps.

• #3 Allie Magnuson

Saturday, January 22, 2011 at 12:01 AM

Hi Cami ~ I'm sorry you weren't able to view it. Did you try it on Firefox? I just looked and I was able to see it. It takes a few minutes to load. I hope you will come back and try again. Thanks for commenting.
    ~Allie

• #4 Cami

Friday, January 21, 2011 at 11:37 PM

I had the same problem as some of the others. Glad I wasn't the only one. I need to remember to try to read this one at school to see if that will help.

• #5 Allie Magnuson

Friday, January 21, 2011 at 10:42 PM

Hi Katie ~ thank you for the nice comments. I am glad you found the ideas useful. I love the vampire - even going to the dollar store you can find things to add to containers. Thanks for giving me a few more ideas. Thank you for reading and I hope you come back soon to see what I am doing.
    ~Allie

• #6 Katie

Friday, January 21, 2011 at 02:08 PM

Hi- These are great sources of information - thank you!! I have been making letter bins (similar to what you can by at teacher stores) and have been stuck on a few. This really gave me ideas. To add some ideas - for example, Vv, you could add a volcano, vaseline, vampire, van, video, viper, violin, etc. Think outside the box - my vampire is a yellow duck dressed as a vampire from Halloween!! Violin could be from a small dollhouse, a van could be a match box car. Hope this helps someone to brainstorm - some letters are just downright hard!! :-)

• #7 Allie Magnuson

Friday, January 21, 2011 at 08:35 AM

Hi Heidi, Thanks for the nice comments. I hope you continue to read and enjoy.
    ~Allie

• #8 Heidi Butkus

Thursday, January 20, 2011 at 11:30 PM

Super neat blog, Allie! I love your use of slide shows and videos. Way cool!

• #9 Allie Magnuson

Thursday, January 20, 2011 at 07:47 AM

Hi Elise ~ I am so glad you were able to view them. I am not sure why it's not loading with Internet Explorer. I will have to check about that. I am glad you will continue to read. I have some fun posts coming up.

~Allie

• #10 Elise

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 at 09:57 AM

Once I got home, I was able to try it on Firefox, which worked. Yay! Unfortunately, I'm required to use IE at work. I guess I'll just have to view the posts with slideshows at home.

• #11 Allie Magnuson

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 at 10:10 PM

Hi Elise ~ I am sorry you are having trouble. I just looked and it's working for me. Maybe it's the browser you are using. I am showing it on firefox. Let me know if you still can't see it after switching to a different browser. I really want you to be able to see everything. Thanks for your comment and I hope you continue to read.
    ~Allie

• #12 Elise

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 at 08:52 AM

I'm having the same problem as Shelley. The slideshow boxes load, and I can click the arrow at the bottom to flip through, but all it displays is a black box. I've tried refreshing, and I left the page up all day yesterday to give them time to load - no dice.

• #13 Allie Magnuson

Saturday, January 15, 2011 at 02:33 AM

Hi Shelley ~ There are some pictures within the slide show. Are these the pictures you can't pull up? I am not having any problems seeing them. Try again as the slide show takes a few minutes to load. I am glad you enjoyed the ideas and I hope you come back and see what else I am doing in the classroom.
    ~Allie

• #14 shelley

Saturday, January 15, 2011 at 12:36 AM

I can't pull up your pictures? Is there a trick? I would love to see the ideas. The video was cute and I got some ideas. Thanks.

Browse by Grade
Special Interests:
Learning with Dramatic Play
School-Home Connection
The Green Classroom
Writing and Author's Chair

Allie's Bio

The opinions expressed in Classroom Solutions are strictly those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Scholastic Inc.