Classroom Solutions > Allie Magnuson > To Endings, Transitions, and New Beginnings

To Endings, Transitions, and New Beginnings

Kindergarten End of the Year Summer FunIt’s the end of the school year, and to kick off summer vacation, our classroom became the O.K. (Over Kindergarten) Ranch and Corral. To prepare my students for the long break, I created a calendar of summer bridge activities to give to parents. And to get ready for next year, I got some great advice from some surprise stars.

Kindergarten End of the Year Summer Fun

Happy Trails to You, Until We Meet Again

We started our day on the ranch with an appropriate morning message.

Kindergarten End of the Year Summer Fun

Entertainment included square dancing ("Grab your pardners!"), horseback riding and racing ("Yee-haw!"), and a voice guessing game ("Hi, cowhand!").Kindergarten End of the Year Summer Fun

The little buckaroos and cowpokes lined up horses and cows in alphabetical and numerical order.

Kindergarten End of the Year Summer Fun

Kindergarten End of the Year Summer Fun While we sat around the campfire, we made s’mores, chewed beef jerky, munched on Jolly Ranchers and Cool Ranch Doritos, and slugged down root beer. Ooh, doggy, those were some good fixins! Afterwards, we told scary stories.

Kindergarten End of the Year Summer Fun

By the bye, we lay in our sleeping bags and had a look-see at the starry ceiling.

Kindergarten End of the Year Summer Fun

When nature called, we cut a path to the outhouse lickety-split.

Kindergarten End of the Year Summer Fun

View my summer booklist for books about the Wild West and summer in general.

It’s Summertime, and the Livin’ Is Easy

It’s easy, but is it educational? Don’t let your students slip into forgetfulness this summer. Give them a way to apply all they learned as kindergartners with a simple, one-goal-a-day calendar of summer bridge activities that will provide a smooth transition to 1st grade. Download my calendar to give to parents, or make your own.

Kindergarten End of the Year Summer Fun Ain’t No Cure for the Summertime Blues . . .

. . . except for the promise of a fresh, new beginning. You can start the year off right with some timeless tips that are easy to remember and easy to follow. I asked Miss Bindergarten’s creators, Joseph Slate and Ashley Wolff, if they had any advice to help my readers be as good at teaching as Miss Bindergarten is. Joseph Slate responded, “Kindness is all. Patience, too.” He received these words of wisdom from an old college professor, and considers the motto good life advice. Ashley Wolff says, “Any goal is possible if one follows the three Ps: Practice, Patience, and Perseverance.” Ms. Wolff passionately wanted to be an artist when she was five, and achieved that dream with a steady application of the three Ps . . . so she says not to forget the fourth P — Passion!

A Great Big Thanks

Kindergarten End of the Year Summer Fun

Sadly, this is my last blog post for Scholastic. I am grateful to Kathy Walsh and the Scholastic team for giving me the opportunity to shine. I would like to thank those staff members of C.P. Squires who offered me support and praise for all my hard work and success. Most of all I want to thank my sweet and generous students for being so willing to do whatever I asked, without question and without complaint. Thanks also to my family for their help with every aspect of blog writing and technical work. And lastly . . . I thank you, my loyal readers, for giving me a reason to write, and for showing that you valued and appreciated my ideas by reading them every week. You are the best!

Have a hog-killin’ summer!

~Allie

Comments

• #1 ATLTeacher

Monday, June 13, 2011 at 08:19 PM

I just featured your post on my blog that shows teachers' reflections from the school year. You can view it here: http://forcuriousteachers.blogspot.com/2011/06/so-how-was-your-school-year.html

- @ATLTeacher on Twitter

• #2 Allie Magnuson

Monday, May 30, 2011 at 12:27 PM

Hi Heidi ~ What an incredible nice thing to say. We had an amazing year and thanks to you, we had a lot of dancing and singing. I will always be grateful that I got to know you and I am looking forward to meeting you this summer. Thank you for reading and supporting me this year.
    ~Allie~

• #3 Allie Magnuson

Monday, May 30, 2011 at 12:22 PM

Hi Joy ~ Thank you for reading and supporting me through this adventure this year. We had a great year and I hope my students will remember all the fun while learning we had.
    ~Allie~

• #4 Allie Magnuson

Monday, May 30, 2011 at 12:19 PM

Hi Nancy ~ Thank you so much for the kind words. I wish my kids lived where you teach then they could begin with me and end with you. What a wonderful thing that would be. Thank you so much for reading and supporting me this year. You are the greatest!
    ~Allie~

• #5 Allie Magnuson

Monday, May 30, 2011 at 12:15 PM

Dear Ashley,
    I want to THANK YOU for allowing me to bring Miss Bindergarten to life in our classroom this year. You are a wonderful artist and I can't wait to see what you have in store next. Thank you for reading and commenting.
    I will always be your fan!
    ~Allie Magnuson~

• #6 Heidi Butkus

Monday, May 30, 2011 at 08:36 AM

Another beautiful job, Allie! Your students will never find another teacher as sweet and dedicated as you are!
    Heidi Butkus

• #7 Joy

Sunday, May 29, 2011 at 10:12 AM

How could I not like this blog? Wonderful activities. Will miss your blog! You did a great job this year and your kids were great! What a fun way to end the school year!

• #8 Nancy Barile

Saturday, May 28, 2011 at 07:10 AM

You have got to be the great kindergarten teacher that ever lived! Your students are so lucky! Thank you for letting me see where my students begin - I wish they all had teachers like you. Much love ~ Nancy

• #9 ashley Wolff

Saturday, May 28, 2011 at 12:38 AM

Dear Mrs Magnuson,

Thank you for welcoming Miss Bindergarten into your classroom and allowing her to experience all the creative learning and fun you and your class had. Have a wonderful summer!

Your fan, Ashley

Special Interests:
Learning with Dramatic Play
School-Home Connection
The Green Classroom
Writing and Author's Chair

Allie's Bio

The opinions expressed in Classroom Solutions are strictly those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Scholastic Inc.