Classroom Solutions > Alycia Zimmerman > What’s in a Name? A Back-to-School Literacy Unit

What’s in a Name? A Back-to-School Literacy Unit

NametagDuring the first few weeks of school, I always find it challenging to come up with a meaningful unit of study so that my students can feel as though they are accomplishing something beyond learning a bunch of routines. There’s the obvious imperative to build our classroom community. On top of that, the empty bulletin boards in the classroom are glaring at us, demanding student work so our classroom can begin to look “lived in.”

Last year, I had wonderful results using a name unit as our first shared literacy experience. Read on to find out what my students did. (This post includes a list of read-alouds and graphic organizers to support the unit.)

Our names are an important part of our identity, and during the first few days of school, we are naturally focused on matching the names with the faces in our class. A name unit, then, is a natural extension of this focus. It emphasizes each student’s uniqueness, and helps to reinforce our classroom values of acceptance and individuality.

Beginning With Thematic Read-Alouds

Several thematically linked read-alouds sparked discussions among my students about the importance of names, cultural diversity, tolerance, and self-acceptance. Below is a short list of some of my favorite picture books on the subject. I've also included a longer annotated list on my class Web site.

Picture Books About Names:

I also set out a basket with a variety of baby name books borrowed from the public library.

IMG_5034

You would never believe how much excitement baby name books generated among my students! This was a new microgenre for most of my students, and they eagerly pored over the books with their partners. This was hardly a quiet reading period. The classroom was full of exclamations such as: “Lauren, your name was the thirtieth most popular name!” “Mia’s name was the fourteenth most popular in 2008!” “I can’t find Keo’s name in any of these books!” We charted their discoveries, touching on several features of nonfiction books in the process.

IMG_5044

Let's Research!

GooneyBird
To set the stage for their personal name research, I read the students the second chapter of Lois Lowry’s book Gooney Bird Greene. In this chapter, Gooney Bird regales her new class with “The Story of How Gooney Bird Got Her Name.” This is a perfect springboard for the students to begin researching the stories behind their own names.

My students researched their names in three different ways: by referring to the baby name books, by using online names databases, and by conducting a family interview. I wanted to structure a very controlled experience for this first class foray onto the Web, so I directed the students to a prescreened list of resources on my classroom Web site.

Here’s the research organizer my students used in class and the interview form they brought home to work on with their families:

Research Organizer Thumbnail

Download a PDF of my name research organizer.

Interview Form Thumbnail

Download my name research interview form.

The Writing Process

This early in the school year, I wanted to provide a structure to help all of my students feel successful in their writing. I turned to Margaret Wise Brown’s The Important Book. First published in 1949, this classic book discusses the most important things about an apple, snow, a shoe, a spoon, grass, etc. I read parts of this deceptively simple book to my students, and we discussed how Margaret Wise Brown organized her observations.

“How can we use The Important Book to help us with our writing about our names?” I asked the class. Several of my students immediately made the connection and explained that they can use the pattern from the book to organize their writing. They would begin by writing, “The most important thing about my name is . . . ” Then they would add other ideas and information about their names. Finally, they would end following Margaret Wise Brown’s cyclical pattern, “But the important thing about my name is . . . ” With a firm grasp of this structure, my students were off and writing.

It’s Time to Publish! (With a Side of Tech Art)

Lara's Writing
After my students worked through an abridged writing process, they wrote the final piece on 6" x 9" lined paper. I provided two paper format choices for my students. Just print out the paper onto regular computer paper and trim the margins. Then mount their writing onto construction paper.

Next, my students created name collages to decorate their writing. The collage process let me informally assess my students’ basic computer skills. I taught the following sequence of skills:

• Open a new word processing document.
  • Type your name and capitalize the first letter.
  • Copy and paste the name at least twenty times.
  • Change the fonts, colors, and sizes of the names (the students loved this part!).
  • Print the document.

We covered a lot of the basic word processing skills my students will need throughout the year with this one simple project. After my students printed their name document, they cut out their names and arranged them as a border for their writing.

Here are their finished projects: (click for larger images)

IMG_3407
   IMG_3411

Do you have any questions or comments? I’m happy to answer any questions you may have, or to hear your wonderful ideas for back-to-school literacy activities!

Comments

• #1 Alycia Zimmerman

Monday, September 05, 2011 at 09:17 PM

Brenda, thanks for your comment! Let me know how the lessons work out for your class. My students love using Wordle, but they like Tagxedo even more. (www.tagxedo.com) It is a bit more customizable than Wordle.

As to your previous question about my class website, I use a service called Weebly to design and host my website. It is incredibly easy to use with a simple drag and drop interface, and they have a free version you can try out with a reasonable amount of features. (There is also a paid version to unlock all of the features.) If you need more info about how I built my class website, just let me know - I'm happy to help!

Warm regards - Alycia

• #2 Alycia Zimmerman

Monday, September 05, 2011 at 09:12 PM

Terri, I'm so excited to hear that the unit worked for your class! What a great idea to have your students research their sign names - hearing impairment is an area of diversity that I really don't address enough in my classroom. Thanks for sharing how you differentiated for your students. I just checked out Comic Life and it looks like so much fun. I am going to try using it with my students this year - they will love it! I'll let you know how it goes.

All the best,
    Alycia

• #3 brenda webster

Monday, September 05, 2011 at 07:21 PM

Love the thorough lesson plan explaining each step. I can not wait to try this out. I typically read Chrysanthamum but I love adding Gooney to the mix as well. I am planning to use Wordle to creat their name collage. Looking forward to hearing more ideas. THANKS for sharing!

• #4 Terri

Sunday, September 04, 2011 at 10:22 PM

I tried this unit with my students this year and they loved it. My students are deaf and communicate using sign language, so I included a section where they addressed the background of their sign names, too. For publishing, we used a computer program called Comic Life instead of writing paragraphs. My students loved finding out how popular their names are and adding personal stories -- like when they were named after someone special. Thanks for sharing this activity!

• #5 Alycia Zimmerman

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 at 10:33 PM

Hi CJ, it's great to hear from you! As far as baby name books go, I use different ones every year based on what I can get my hands on. I tend to pick the thickest volumes I can find - some of those books resemble phone books - because I figure they must have more names or information. If you search a used book reseller online like Better World Books, you'll find a lot of used baby name books for $4 or $5. I also try to include a quirky book or two like Cool Names for Babies or Bring Back Beatrice!: 1,108 Baby Names with Meaning, Character, and a Little Bit of Attitude. My students enjoy reading the commentary in these less standard name books.

CJ, if you do end up borrowing name books from the public library, make sure to mark them so that they don't go on an accidental vacation outside of your classroom. I tape neon post-its to the covers of library books, writing in thick marker, "NYPL Library Book - Do Not Remove!" I've managed to keep my library fines in check this way.

Best of luck heading back to school!
    Alycia

• #6 CJ

Monday, August 22, 2011 at 09:38 PM

I appreciate your creativity and how many skills (using/recognizing how reference books are organized, writing, problem solving, and technology, etc.)are embedded in this meaningful unit! Looking forward to giving this a try when school starts for me in a few weeks. I went to my local library and found that the baby name book selection was sparse. Can you share which baby name books you used that provided the most information and/or names, so I can see if other libraries in my area carry them. If not, I may consider purchasing a few. Thank you, and I look forward to reading more of your posts.

• #7 Michelle

Monday, August 22, 2011 at 09:04 PM

This is an awesome unit to start the year off with! I'm really excited to try it with my class!

I added a page to extend the activity for students who need to be enriched. They can look up their last name and add that to the final paragraph. Students can even find their family crests too. I always had the early finishers and thought this would be a helpful extension.

• #8 Zina Knight

Monday, August 15, 2011 at 11:59 AM

Alycia, are these your actual lesson plans, the link did not work. I was wondering if you could send them to me directly. Maybe I just can't find them

• #9 Summer

Monday, August 08, 2011 at 09:35 PM

Great idea!! Can't wait to use it in my 5th grade classroom!! :)

• #10 Alycia Zimmerman

Sunday, August 07, 2011 at 02:40 PM

Andra, thanks for the lovely compliment! At the beginning of the year, I obviously need to assess my students' technology skills, in addition to everything else I am assessing. Activities like these let me assess my students by observing them engaging in a wide range of technology skills. I quickly learned who knew how to browse websites on the internet, who knew basic word processing skills, who knew how to type with the correct fingering, and who knew how to use their flash drives. Interestingly, while watching my students cut out their names for the collage, I realized that many of my students had better typing skills than cutting skills!

Regards - Alycia

• #11 Alycia Zimmerman

Sunday, August 07, 2011 at 02:34 PM

Mary, it's great to hear from you! I was such a fan of your blog last year! What a wonderful idea to study how people change their names (or have them changed) due to immigration and assimilation. I'm going to post about our immigration unit later on during the school year, and I look forward to hearing more about what you do with your unit.

Cheers! Alycia

• #12 Alycia Zimmerman

Sunday, August 07, 2011 at 02:25 PM

Alfi, you make a very good point - not all of my students' names were in the baby name books or databases. I waited until the students discovered this on their own, at which point we had a discussion about what to do. (I like to let my students "problem solve" these sorts of issues together through discussion; it gives them ownership over the process.) They realized that some names had variant spellings or a derivative form in the books. I used my name as an example; Alycia with a "y" wasn't in any of the books, so I demonstrated how I researched Alicia and Elisha. Other names did not have any form in the books, so these students did other forms of research. They relied more heavily on their family interviews, and often they chose to make up their own meaning of their names based on their research. This challenge cemented one of the themes of the unit: we, like our names, are unique, and we celebrate this originality. I hope this helps, Alfi, and thank you for your comment!

All the best - Alycia

• #13 Andra

Saturday, August 06, 2011 at 10:02 PM

I LOVE this idea! I have been looking for something new to try and the research and technology tie-in is great!

• #14 Mary Blow

Saturday, August 06, 2011 at 07:57 AM

I am a huge fan of thematic units. Thank you for sharing this. I teach middle school; however, I think I can use this as a part of an immigration unit where student research name changes because immigrants tried to Americanize in order to assimilate into the American culture. This happened to my grandmother.

• #15 Alfi Forsch

Friday, August 05, 2011 at 11:18 PM

This is a fantastic idea. How do you deal with names that are so unusual they are not in the baby name books or on baby name websites?

• #16 Alycia Zimmerman

Thursday, August 04, 2011 at 02:17 PM

Hi Dawn, it's great to hear from you! I don't think any of the fourth or fifth grade classes have tried this unit as written, although I know the fifth grade classes do an art project about their names. I imagine that it would work with older students, because they're still going to be curious about the origins of their names. I would probably use the fourth chapter from The House on Mango Street instead of Gooney Bird Greene, as I mentioned in an earlier comment, and obviously the research would go faster with an older bunch. By sixth grade, I imagine you could go much deeper into the etymology of names, and the students can create linguistic maps or diagrams to accompany the etymology. I'd love to hear if you end up using this unit with your students, and how you modify it to fit your class.

Warm regards,
    Alycia

• #17 Alycia Zimmerman

Thursday, August 04, 2011 at 02:02 PM

Hi Ashleigh, thanks for your wonderful comments! You are so right about using a name study as a springboard into other units of study. In fact, in my class last year, we went straight from this unit into our immigration and heritage study. It was a natural extension for my students to go from researching where their names come from, to researching where their families come from. (I'm going to blog about our immigration unit at some point later on this year.) All the best - Alycia

• #18 Dawn

Thursday, August 04, 2011 at 12:49 PM

Hi Alycia!

I love your blog and I'm so glad that you're a part of the Scholastic Teacher Advisor Team this year!

This unit sounds awesome and I'm thinking about using it in my 6th grade classroom. Have any of your colleagues tried it with older students? I'd love to hear any feedback!

Thanks! Looking forward to a great year ahead!
    Best,
    Dawn

• #19 Ashleigh

Thursday, August 04, 2011 at 12:46 PM

What a great idea! I love the books you've chosen for this idea. I think Gooney Bird is an excellent springboard to many great lessons. This could also be a great lead in to different social studies units or even a math data unit.

• #20 Bee

Thursday, August 04, 2011 at 10:00 AM

Hi Alycia
    What a fantastic unit! The graphic organizer is perfect. What is more personal than a name? This sounds like a wonderful unit to get students excited about school. The "take it home" aspect of interviewing a family member is a great idea. I look forward to reading more great ideas from your happy and engaged classroom.

Browse by Grade
Special Interests:
Community Building
Field Trips
Exploring New Technologies
Project Learning

Alycia's Bio

The opinions expressed in Classroom Solutions are strictly those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Scholastic Inc.