Top Teaching > Beth Newingham > A Virtual Peek Into My Classroom Library

A Virtual Peek Into My Classroom Library

Choosing books A library is an essential part of any elementary classroom. To run an effective Reading Workshop, it is necessary to stock your classroom library with books of a variety of genres, topics, and levels. Teachers who use the workshop method know that readers need lots of books in a single year, as they are given time to read self-selected texts independently on a daily basis. For this reason, it's important to organize your classroom library in a way that allows students to easily find "just right" books that they are interested in reading.

Read on to watch a video about how I organize my classroom library and how I use it as a tool to help my students evaluate their own reading progress throughout the year.  You will also find ideas for collecting more books for your own classroom library, links to download book labels, and additional photos of the library.

Take a Virtual Tour of My Classroom Library!

Using Colored Baskets to Organize My Books

P1080296
Fiction picture books are stored in red baskets.

P1080401
Chapter book series are kept in blue baskets.

P1080400
Chapter books that are not part of a series are kept in yellow baskets.

P1080297
Nonfiction texts are stored in green baskets.

Learn more about how I organize the books in my library.

Basket Labels

All baskets have a unique label that tells a reader what type of books they can find inside.  The basket labels vary based on the section of the library in which the basket is located.

P1080408
Nonfiction basket labels reveal the topic students will find inside.

P1080407
Fiction picture book and chapter book labels reveal the basket's genre.

Chpater books

Chapter book series baskets reveal the name of the different series a reader will find inside.

Basket labels
Download my pre-made labels and a label template you can use to create your own.

How I Level My Books

I do not level my books just so that I can assign students a color code (level) and then make them read only at that level.  I make certain that my students are involved in the process in every way.  They read books from the classroom library and try to determine what levels seem "just right" for them.  I meet with each student individually to decide upon a comfortable "just right" level so that students can start choosing appropriate books that they can read independently.  (Watch my library video for more information about how this process works.)  Once a student's JR level is determined, he or she can refer to the basket labels as a guide for finding books that are "just right" for them.  As the school year progresses, students are constantly reevaluating what levels feel "just right" for them and reading trial books at a higher level before deciding to regularly read books at that level independently.

IMG_4202
A color code sticker can be found on the back of every book.

P1080312
Basket labels also indicate what color codes can be found inside.

Library conversion chart
The color codes in my library correspond to Fountas and Pinnell's guided reading levels.

Teacher book wizard

I use Scholastic's Teacher Book Wizard to level my books.  It provides a variety of levels including guided reading level, grade level equivalent, DRA level, lexile level, and interest level.  A description of each book is also provided along with its genre, common themes, and topics you will find in the book.  Teacher Book Wizard also allows teachers to create, print, and even exchange book lists with other teachers.  You can also use Teacher Book Wizard to help you find "just right" books for your students using the "Book Alike" feature.

Check out Teacher Book Wizard

Collecting More Books for Your Classroom Library

It's common knowledge that an effective classroom library has a large variety of books at many different levels, about many different topics, and of many different genres.  That sounds great, but where can you get more books?

P1000613

One of my favorite ways to collect additional library books is to ask my current students to donate books from home that they have already read.  To provide them with an incentive, the donated books are given a special label with the child's name and the date that the book was donated.  Students like to know that their book will forever be part of the Newingham library.

P1000945
Another idea to consider is a read-a-thon.  Students can collect pledges from family and friends for each book they read in a month (or a certain period of time).  Students can count the books they read in class and at home.  Not only are students motivated to read lots of books, but the money raised can go to the purchasing of new books for your classroom library.  The kids then get to enjoy reading the books they earned for the class.

Find more ideas about how to collect books for your classroom library without breaking the bank!

Keeping Track of Your Books

Once I began collecting a good number of books, it became important to me that I had some sort of inventory of the books I own.  This is helpful when choosing books to read aloud, when suggesting "just right" books for students, and for keeping track of all my books. Since I was using the computer to look up the levels of my books, it made sense to also add the book title, author, level, and library location to an Excel file that I could access when searching for a book.

Class library list

IMG_5203
I chose to print out my Excel library collection file as a sort of "card catalog" for students to use when looking for specific books or books by a specific author.

P1080519

In the past couple of years, I have been transferring my book collection to Media Collector, a software used with IntelliScanner.  An IntelliScanner is a device used to scan the barcodes on your classroom library books.  The information is collected and stored on your computer.  You can choose to add your own categories to the collected information as well.  For example, once a book is added to my collection, I add categories for book level and library location.

Evaluate Your Classroom Library!

"Jumpstart the process of building a better classroom library with the Scholastic Classroom Books “Mini” Evaluation Protocol. Use this research-based, quick, and easy-to-use audit tool to assess your current classroom books and give you the knowledge to build on them to ensure you have the right books for your students."

Use Scholastic's Classroom Library Evaluation Tool

I'd love to hear your ideas about classroom library organization!!  Feel free to share!

Comments

• #1 sue leary

Sunday, June 20, 2010 at 06:30 PM

Beth...I teach first grade and I am wondering how to organize my classroom library for book boxes...I don't want too many choices for the kids or to get real specific with types of books...can you give me any direction as to how to organize my books with first graders in mind?

• #2 deb schaller

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 at 08:31 PM

Our school currently administers the DRA (Developmental Reading Assessment) to determine each student's level. How does the Benchmark Assessment differ from the DRA?

• #3 Luz Antolinez-Haire

Thursday, June 10, 2010 at 07:53 PM

Beth, thank you so much for inspiring me to have a better library.
    My question is about the checking in/out of the books . I have a problem with many of my books dissapearing from my library and I was wondering how do you track your books back into your library. DO you have a librarian?

• #4 Melissa

Monday, June 07, 2010 at 10:58 AM

Beth-
    I have followed your website for a few years, and you are my teaching idol. My school is getting a brand new building next year, and I am looking at changing my library then. This will give me time to purchase materials needed, due to cost. I was wondering where the shelves came from in your library? Did you purchase them? Also I was wondering where you purchased the buckets for bucket filling?
    Thanks

• #5 m. bradshaw

Sunday, June 06, 2010 at 07:52 PM

Hi Beth,
    I just love your classroom and all of your ideas. I was just wondering, I'm fairly new to the concept of centers and especially reading workshop. I'm a lil confused also. I do incorporate centers into our daily routine, however my new principal wants us to do reader and writers workshop. Are center time and readers workshop the same time? Are some centers incorporated into that time? It doesn't seem like they could be with everything that entails the Workshop... I just need some clarity...
    Thanks,
    Ms. Bradshaw

Wednesday, June 02, 2010 at 02:55 PM

Jessie,

Many teachers ask me about my check-out system. You can read my response to a similar question asked by another teacher f you check out comment #86 on this blog post. If you still have questions, let me know!

Wednesday, June 02, 2010 at 02:52 PM

Amanda,

Here is a link to a reading grade-level comparison chart that will help you figure out levels when you can't find a Fountas and Pinnell level for it: http://oasl.info/lexiles/ReadingLevelComps.pdf

I hope this helps!

• #8 Jessie

Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 09:02 PM

Hi! I love your website! Just a quick question, how do students check books out of your library? Do you have a system that keeps track of the books they have or do you allow them to just take them and put them in their book baskets? I have tried a couple ways over the past few years, but so far, I haven't found a system I like.

Thank you!

• #9 Amanda

Friday, May 21, 2010 at 08:48 AM

I am trying to get my library set up and I was wondering how you pick what level it will be?

For example, I have the book Scooby-Doo! The School Play Suprise and it is level at a 2.3. I know it would be yellow but after that I am not sure what number it goes in.

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 at 11:14 AM

Christina,

I have an odd-shaped classroom. It is somewhat like a trapezoid and is approximately 38x35. I do feel lucky to have a fairly large room, and I especially love the wall space. One of my walls is made completely of bulletin boards. It is a folding wall. However, we never open it up to join with the room next door, so I am able to maintain permanent wall displays. Two of my other walls are magnetic. While that frustrated me at first because I was unable to staple or tack anything to those walls, I have become a huge fan of business card magnets! I place them on the back of everything to create wall displays and interactive charts. My last wall is made of cinder blocks and is practically useless! However, I have found different adhesive materials at office supply stores that work fairly well when necessary. I guess the best idea is to make the most of what you have!

Thanks for your comment!

• #11 Christina

Monday, May 17, 2010 at 03:13 PM

I love the way your room and class library look! I would love to try to set my room up in a similar way, but am notsure I have the space. What size is your classroom, because it looks huge on your virtual tour?

Sunday, May 16, 2010 at 04:01 PM

Holly,

It's great to hear your excitement about teaching! I know that I always feel renewed during summer break and use the time to make improvements to my classroom. Good luck implementing the reader's notebook and organizing your library! I'm sure your students will reap the benefits of both!

• #13 Holly

Sunday, May 16, 2010 at 02:27 PM

All I have to say is you are amazing! I don't know how you keep up with all that you do. I had started to use bits and pieces of everything you have in your Reader's Notebook and never followed through. I also tried to organize my library every year, but it never stayed that way. I have a new light and can see my classroom library looking and functioning like yours. I can also see my students using the Reader's Notebook and being successful during readers workshop. Thank you very much for everything you share! You are wonderful and I can't wait to see more exciting things from you!

Sincerely,
    Holly

Sunday, May 16, 2010 at 10:46 AM

Barb,

Thanks for your compliments on my library! I know how you feel about your labels falling off your baskets. Even my self-adhesive floppy disks holders that I've used for years are beginning to fall off.

I think I am going to start using something I saw on the Really Good Stuff website. Here is a link to their basket label holders. Check them out! http://reallygoodstuff.com/product_details.aspx?item_guid=42f07642-489e-48aa-8adc-13d0ee5461e6

Of course this means I will have to recreate my labels since the size of their label holders is different. However, I find that it is easy to make new labels if you create an initial template on your computer and then print out new titles when necessary.

Sunday, May 16, 2010 at 10:39 AM

Kenzie,

After basket location, I also include a column for "Teaching Points." This column is helpful just to remind myself of what books I use to teach different concepts in reading, writing, social studies, science, etc. I also include columns that list different themes we study. That way when I want to introduce a new theme, I can easily sort the spreadsheet to show all of the books I have that incorporate that theme.

When I print out the list as a "card catalog" for my students, I do not print out the teaching points or themes. Those are just helpful for me.

Sunday, May 16, 2010 at 10:35 AM

Erin,

The computer that has Intelliscanner installed on it is currently in my classroom, and I am still on maternity leave. I do know that you will need to add a custom field in order to make your own categories. I do not remember exactly how to do this without seeing it on my computer screen. However, I believe you must access the "preferences" tab in the file menu. I will be able to give you a more detailed response in a week when I return to my classroom!

• #17 Barb

Saturday, May 15, 2010 at 11:15 PM

Your library is outstanding! This is my 2nd year back teaching 1st grade, after having taught grades 2,3, and 5 for the prior 12 years. The former teacher in my classroom also left loads of books. I have them all leveled, however, I'm having problems trying to come up with a way to attach the labels to the baskets. I do not have the various colored baskets, rather the white Sterilite baskets in the small and large size. In the past you mentioned using the self-stick diskette covers, but I can't find them anymore. Sometimes I also find the need to change books into different baskets depending on which unit of study we are working on. (We use the Growing Readers by Kathy Collins book.) I've been connecting laminated tagboard or index cards to the baskets with computer ties, but I wish there was an easier way! Any ideas would be much appreciated. You are a truly amazing woman..to have 2 young children at home and still keep up such a wonderful classroom and blog! Blessings on you!

• #18 Barb

Saturday, May 15, 2010 at 11:01 PM

Your library is outstanding! I'm teach 1st grade again after having taught all the others above it over the last 12 years. The former teacher in my room also left tons of books. My problem is keeping the labels attached to the baskets. I know in the past you mentioned the self-stick plastic diskette covers, but they don't seem to be selling them anymore. I also find that with my units of study (yes, I do use Kathy Collins book) I keep having to change my collections. Any ideas on a quick and easy way to relabel?

• #19 Kenzie

Thursday, May 13, 2010 at 01:51 PM

Beth-
    On the your excel database, what are the following labels after basket location? Do you display for the students just the first labels to "basket location"?
    -Kenzie

• #20 Erin Few

Saturday, May 08, 2010 at 10:34 AM

Hi Beth!
    I recently purchased the intelliscanner and software. I have added a stack each day and I'm up to approx. 650 books. Now I need to start planning for my return to the regular classroom next year. I will be leveling them and labeling them according to your recommendations. Can you share how to add that information to your intelliscanner records?