Top Teaching > Beth Newingham > Meet Beth Newingham

Meet Beth Newingham

Scholastic

I’m looking forward to another great year with Scholastic! My name is Beth Newingham, and this is my 11th year of teaching. I worked as the Scholastic Grades 3-5 Teacher Mentor two years ago and then maintained a bi-monthly blog on Top Teaching last year. Being a part of the Scholastic online family has given me such a wonderful opportunity to connect with teachers around the world, share teaching tips, and keep you up to date with what is going on in my own classroom.

I have lived my entire life in Michigan and currently teach in Troy, Michigan at Hill Elementary School. The City of Troy is a suburban community located approximately 30 minutes from downtown Detroit. Troy is rich in cultural diversity, and that is certainly reflected in our student population. Of the 350 students in my building, over thirty different languages are spoken in students’ homes. Teachers, parents, and students celebrate this diversity and take great pride in the unique differences we all bring to our school and our community.

Education has always been a very important part of my life. I guess that was inevitable being the child of two teachers. I earned my undergraduate degree from Albion College, a small liberal arts school, in May of 2000 and went on to earn a Masters degree in the Art of Teaching. Since then I have focused a majority of my professional studies on the teaching of reading and writing.  After spending time in both 5th and 2nd grades, this is now my eighth year as a 3rd grade teacher. I have found that teaching a variety of grades has helped me to better understand and appreciate the full spectrum of learning that takes place in elementary school.

My classroom is one in which reading, writing, and math workshops are at the heart of the learning that takes place every day. I also strive to weave technology into my curriculum and work hard to make my lessons applicable to the real world. Whether we are traveling around the United States on our region tour or examining economic principles through our classroom economy, I try hard to make learning in my classroom purposeful and authentic.

I see education as the main tool that we have to prepare children for their futures. Since it is our students who will become the future leaders and citizens of this world, I see nothing more important than a quality education. Teachers have a unique and daunting responsibility to shape the future through their students. Because of this responsibility, I try to take each opportunity I can to shape the world around me for the better and to instill the same desire in the children I teach.

I have been married for seven years and give much credit to my husband who has learned that being married to a teacher sometimes calls for the additional tasks of cutting, pasting, and labeling supplies for student projects and lessons. I have a 2-year-old son named Luke, and I also welcomed my second wonderful son Evan into the world this past March. My boys have certainly changed my outlook on life and have strengthened my will to make each child who enters my classroom feel safe and special.

Although teaching is not an easy job, I feel lucky to admit that there is nothing I would rather do.  Making learning both engaging and purposeful for my students is my ultimate goal when creating the monthly ideas and activities I have chosen to share with you.

Click HERE to follow me on Top Teaching this school Year!

Comments

• #1 Melissa

Monday, September 19, 2011 at 08:38 AM

I love all of your ideas that you share. I am having trouble using the www.kidsbank.com. Do you know of another website to use for the classroom economy activity?

• #2 Carolyn Eagle

Friday, September 16, 2011 at 02:48 PM

I love the wau Beth N. organizes her room/books. If she has any Manga type books etc. - will you please let me know how she categorizes them? Does she group them - Classics / T.V.-Movies / etc. or alphabetically by title?

If possible, please email me back. I don't think I would catch the answer if it came in a blog.

Carolyn Eagle

• #3 Nelusha

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 at 01:12 PM

Hi Beth,

I lovethe character traits posters that you have provided on your website. I am a teacher my self and I wanted to create activities with font you have used. Can you tell me the name of the font and where I can find it?

• #4 Kirsten

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 at 12:05 AM

You have really inspired my teaching. Thank you! Your hard work is making a real difference in my students' learning.
    I have a quick question. I came across a wonderful resource (and I thought it was from you) but I can not find it again. It was a Reading Curriculum that provided month by month units based on Kathy Collins, Debbie Miller and Lucy Caulkins' books. I downloaded the First Grade month by month Units. I am changing to Second Grade this fall and am dying to find the Second Grade Reading Curriculum document. Any ideas?

Kirsten

• #5 jerierhode

Sunday, June 26, 2011 at 10:12 PM

how can I find different ways the short vowels can be spelled?

• #6 Kelly

Friday, June 24, 2011 at 04:11 PM

Hello Beth!
    I was recently on your classroom website, looking at your classroom library set up, and I love the idea of having a section of books for partner reading (double books). My question is: are these books that you actually have three copies of, so one copy can stay in your library for individual kids to get?

Thanks!

• #7 kathleen

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 at 08:58 PM

I am interested in purchasing Print Shop for the Mac but am afraid to buy the wrong one. Which one does Beth Newingham use?

• #8 Allison

Saturday, May 28, 2011 at 03:04 PM

Hi Beth,

I've been perusing your website off and on for the last few years since I started teaching the 8 year old class overseas in an international school. I've implemented many of your lesson plan ideas, templates, etc and it's a blast being able to better oneself as a teacher and have fun in the process. Thank you for all of your hard work, quality projects, and for sharing your wonderful ideas. I do have 2 questions for you: 1.) What does a normal week of homework look like for you? and 2.) I believe in classroom community and have always begun class with Morning Meeting to start the day. You've mentioned that you begin with Morning work..what does that look like? Thanks again for sharing your passion with each one of us!

• #9 Tami

Tuesday, May 03, 2011 at 07:39 AM

You are an inspiration! Thank you for your willingness to share so many wonderful ideas. I'd love to touch base with you about the Social Studies curriculum you are currently using.

• #10 Debbie Redding

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 at 01:01 PM

We are hosting an international festival in our third grades. We would like to have our children sing the song you are using about always being an American. I can't find it anywhere! Can you share the name and artist for the song?

• #11 Selena

Monday, March 21, 2011 at 12:57 PM

Hi Beth,
    I want to implement a word study program in my classroom next year. I teach first and second grade combined. Do you know if the Word Study Lessons has a book for first or second grade?
    Selena

• #12 Lee Ann R.

Wednesday, February 02, 2011 at 03:24 PM

Hi Beth,
    I just wanted to say that I so enjoy reading about your great ideas. I also love visiting your school website. Your students look like they really love learning and enjoy coming to school everyday! I know that I would love going to a class that like!

I would love to visit your class and observe your activities and your classroom management. Do you ever have teacher visitors? I only live a couple of hours away. I'm going to be up your way this weekend-too bad it's not during the week.

How do you create your school website? I admit that I know very little about technology, so would creating a website like yours be difficult for someone like me?

Thanks for the inspiration,
    Lee Ann

• #13 Katie

Monday, January 10, 2011 at 06:42 PM

Hi Beth!

Thank you for all of your wonderful posts and ideas! I love visiting your website and blog to find new ideas to supplement my teaching. I've implemented many of your creative ideas into my classroom with great success!!

I have a random question for you. I was wondering how you became associated with Scholastic's Top Teaching blog? I am looking for venues to opportunities to share and develop ideas and this seemed like a great way to do so! I was just curious about the how the opportunity came about.

Thank you again for all that you do!

Saturday, December 04, 2010 at 11:04 AM

Margie (comment #73),

You indicated that you are having problems downloading some of the Print Shop files on my classroom website. Instead of left-clicking and trying to immediately open the file, try right clicking and choose "Save Target as." Then choose a location on your hard drive to save the file. Now open Print Shop and try to open the file in the Print Shop program.

I have had many different versions of Print Shop over the years, so I am not sure which version I had installed on my computer when I created each word study game. However, I know that all of the old files always continued to be accessible in each newer version that I bought. The only version I am unsure about is the new Print Shop 2.0. I have not tried that version yet. However, it sounds like the new version you have is not compatible with older versions. That is frustrating if that is the case!

Hoefully my first suggestion will work for you!

Saturday, December 04, 2010 at 11:00 AM

Mary (comment #56),

You asked about websites to use for leveling classroom library books. I have definitely found that the Scholastic Teacher Book Wizard is the most extensive resource for finding levels for books. However, I also come across some books that are not included on the website. When this happens, I try to make a judgement call. After looking up levels for nearly 3000 books, I have gotten pretty good at determining the characteristics of books at the different levels. I use this knowledge to assign a level to these books. Since I can't be sure of the level that I choose, I try to error on lower side so that my readers are not finding themselves in books that are too difficult. I think you will begin to feel comfortable doing this as you continue to level your library.

Fountas and Pinnell also have a leveled books website, but you have to pay to login. Here is the link to their site: http://www.heinemann.com/products/002119.aspx

• #16 Margie Simpson

Friday, November 26, 2010 at 06:53 PM

Hi there,
    Just love all your ideas and information! It's so refreshing to see how you come up with all your creative ideas and share them for us to use! Thanks for that!!
    I'm having trouble with your downloadable files for your center games. I just purchased Print Shop Deluxe 2.0 today, (11/26/10) and can't seem to download any of your zip files from your literacy centers. The extension on your files is .SIG and the printshop files extension is.PSproj. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
    Margie

• #17 Mary

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 at 09:35 PM

Hi Beth! I just love your site and all of your wonderful ideas. I have a lot of books in my classroom library, and this year leveled them all. What a task! It has really paid off though. I have been using the Scholastic Teacher Book Wizard, but am finding that a lot of books aren't on there. What do you do in that situation? Are there any other sites you use?
    Thanks for all of your wonderful info!

Saturday, November 20, 2010 at 03:13 PM

Kathy (comment #54),

You asked about my Northeast Region Tour train tickets (at least I think that's what you are referring to).

Here is a link to a WinZip file with all three tickets included: http://hill.troy.k12.mi.us/staff/bnewingham/myweb3/traintickets.htm

I hope this helps you out!

• #19 Kathy

Saturday, November 13, 2010 at 06:31 PM

Thank you for sharing your ideas and printables. Last year I thought I saw a PDF for your Regions' tickets? If you have one I'd sure appreciate it.
    Kathy

• #20 Lisa

Sunday, October 03, 2010 at 11:41 AM

Hi Beth,
    You have been a tremendous help!! I use your reading workshop model, thinking maps, and everyday math journals. I know in my heart I am doing what is best for all my students. Thanks for your thoughtful response.