Top Teaching > Megan Power > Report Card Comments Made Simple

Report Card Comments Made Simple

TraThis year do you have more students and less time? Then let Teachers Report Assistant come to your rescue during report card time this winter. Ever since I started using this FREE program, I have cut my narrative comment writing time in more than half. So stop dreading the task of writing your report card comments and download this tool today! Click "read more" to see two Jing how-to videos that will help you get started with this stress- and time-saving tool today!

As class sizes in most schools have increased this year, so have the number of report card comments needing to be written. For many of us teachers, this is a part of our job we see as valuable, but it's not our favorite thing on the to-do list. For parents, however, the report card narrative comments are vital in giving them a better picture of where their child is. Here, teachers can better explain what some of the letters and numbers on the report cards mean. For this reason, we have to make sure this narrative piece is written well. So many teachers spend hours upon hours writing paragraphs for each of their students. It does not have to be that way any longer!

I used to sit down in front of a blank computer screen dreading the daunting task ahead of me. I am so glad that I found Teachers Report Assistant several years ago, and I have been sharing this wonderful tool with teachers ever since.

Take a look at this Jing video introduction to get a quick glimpse at Teachers Report Assistant and to see how I use it to save me hours of time writing narrative comments.

Impressed and ready to get started using this time-saving tool? Well, take a look at this Jing about the Teachers Report Assistant to help you set up your comment bank so you’re ready to write.

I hope you give this tool a try, and that you likewise see your writing time cut in at least half. I’d love to hear your thoughts on this program, or on any resources you use for narrative report card comments.

To build up your report card comment library, see the Scholastic articles "Favorite Words, Phrases for Report-Card Writers," "Six Steps to Writing Thoughtful Report-Card Comments," and "Report-Card Writing Strategies for First-Timers." You might also want to check out the book 201 Just Right Words: Report Card Comments.

• #1 SanJuanita Cruz Rdz.

Monday, April 25, 2011 at 02:49 PM

Thank you for these great report card comments. Now it will be easier for me. SanJuanita

• #2 Megan Power

Saturday, April 23, 2011 at 03:58 PM

I am glad you found the video Jings helpful! Once you get your comments setup you will save yourself so much time!

• #3 Megan Power

Saturday, April 23, 2011 at 03:57 PM

I am so glad that you have tried it out. It has saved me so many hours and I am glad it is helping other teachers! Please share this with your colleagues!

• #4 Angie

Friday, April 01, 2011 at 07:25 PM

I have been struggling with reducing my writing time, too! Typing comments for 28 kiddos has been very time consuming this year. Thank you for the wonderful Jings to help me get going quickly with this program.

• #5 Carrie

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 at 06:47 PM

I read this blog when you originally posted it and have been anxiously waiting for report card season so I could try it out! Since I'd been building in comments as the weeks and units passed, when I sat down to write comments tonight I got 26 done in less than 2 hours! This is wonderful! Thanks so much!!!!

• #6 Megan Power

Saturday, February 26, 2011 at 12:12 AM

What a sweet compliment! I am going to email you right now!

• #7 Joy Hwang

Thursday, February 24, 2011 at 03:01 AM

Hello Megan,
    I love reading all of your posts.
    I can feel your warm, positive, and active energy towords the kids all the way to South Korea.
    I currently work in a publishing company. I wonder if you are interested in EFL or ESL. I want to talk to you more about it.
    Please contact me or let me know your email address. Mine is
    I'll wait for your reply.

• #8 Megan Power

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 at 11:36 PM

Sorry. They do not have a MAC version. I wish they would for all the teachers that use MAC. I have been searching for one like this program. Does anyone know of any?

• #9 Irene Zajac

Tuesday, February 15, 2011 at 09:43 PM

Great way to do this, but is there a MAC version?

• #10 Jen

Tuesday, February 15, 2011 at 02:24 AM

Looks better than the cut and paste setup I use now. I can't seem to find a MAC version of this? Help?