Top Teaching > Angela Bunyi > Finding Literacy Inspiration: Why It's Okay to Be Addicted to Pinterest

Finding Literacy Inspiration: Why It's Okay to Be Addicted to Pinterest

AnchorchartForty-one tabs. Seriously, I had 41 tabs open on my laptop at once. Forty-one glorious gems that I just could not close, many of them printable resources ready to be utilized immediately. Time spent finding these resources? Probably thirty minutes. Tops.

Anyone who has ever touched Pinterest can attest that it's highly addictive. However, I have found the time I spend on the site to be extremely beneficial. If you haven't heard of this resource yet, you are totally missing out. Forget Googling, and learn how you can peruse the Internet, find incredible educational resources, and share them with your friends in a visually appealing way.

Read this post to learn about some of the quick and easy literacy ideas I've found through Pinterest. I'll also spotlight a few archived posts on literacy, where you'll find many videos and printables.

Photo: Visit The Inspired Apple (tab #32) for some gorgeous anchor chart and lesson ideas.

Out With the Old, and in With the New!

Old_sites

Saved Internet Links: Out

Pinterest1

Visual Collections: In, In, In!

One of the things I adore about Pinterest is the visual aspect of searching for sites. For example, when I typed in "literacy anchor charts," a large collection of anchor chart photos with links appeared; within seconds I was completely inspired. I also typed in "literacy resources" and found so many ideas and printable resources, it made me wonder why anyone would go anywhere else, with so much offered in one place. Ten seconds and I found

• a sight word Twister for rainy days or literacy centers
  • the idea of using battery-powered closet lights for phonemic awareness practice (fun!)
  • a way of using nuts and bolts for word play
  • the idea of using paint chips for word family practice

My Pinterest Account: Let the Literacy Sharing Begin!

So, without further ado, here is my personal Pinterest collection of over 100 pins for you to peruse, browse, and drool over. Just click on the image below.

Pinterest_new

My Pinterest account is less than 24 hours old: it will continue to grow throughout the year. I would be delighted to have you follow me and provide literacy resources for me to add. My current boards include

• Lesson Plan Ideas
  • Printables/Freebies
  • Literacy Anchor Charts
  • Literacy Blogs
  • DIY Classroom Crafts
  • My Personal Collection of Anchor Charts
  • My Scholastic blog posts, articles, and unit plans
  • My Personal Printables

If you are not careful, several hours will disappear — poof — just like that! So, with that in mind, I don't need to write anymore. One click, and you'll see why it's okay to be addicted to this incredible lesson-planning resource.

Enjoy!

Angela

Archived Scholastic Posts

With each post I will feature a few of my old blog posts for you. You are free to make comments and ask questions about these older posts at any time. Just click on the image below and you will be directed to the original page.

Oldpost

Oldpost1
Oldpost2

To learn more about our classroom, visit us at http://www.mrsbunyi.com.

Comments

• #1 Angela Bunyi

Sunday, October 02, 2011 at 01:38 PM

Marlene,

I too was hesitant to try it out after reading several FB posts on how addicting it was and how many hours were spent on it. However, like you, I see the inspirational aspect of it. Go in with a purpose, find what you need, pin it, and get ready. I totally use it for lesson planning as well...and it makes it fun (which is hard to say about lesson plans).

Angela

• #2 Marlene

Sunday, October 02, 2011 at 01:11 PM

Your post inspired me to finally check out Pinterest. I needed some fresh ideas for Main Idea this week and so I decided to give Pinterest a try. Found the inspiration I needed! What a great idea to use it for literacy inspiration. This is really going to make my lesson planning more fun!

• #3 Angela Bunyi

Thursday, September 29, 2011 at 10:10 PM

Hello Lauren,

Many Angelas, but Bunyi? Not so much. :)

The direct link is found on the third image in the post, but here is the direct link for you: www.pinterest.com/angela_bunyi

Thanks for the kind words!!! :)

Angela

• #4 Lauren

Thursday, September 29, 2011 at 09:29 PM

I would LOVE to follow you! You are such an inspiration to me!! Can you post a link to your boards? I tried searching but there are 6000+ Angelas!!

• #5 Angela Bunyi

Monday, September 26, 2011 at 10:32 PM

Elizabeth,

I hope you were able to sign up for an account (although you can simply use it as a search engine).

Also, I noticed that you have a blog. I might need to check it out and pin it on my Pinterest page. :)

Angela

• #6 Elizabeth

Monday, September 26, 2011 at 10:29 PM

Thank you for sharing such a valuable resource. This is the first time I have heard of Pinterest, but I know I will use it again and again :)

• #7 Angela Bunyi

Monday, September 26, 2011 at 09:11 PM

Maria,

That's great to hear! Feel free to add me on Pinterest, and we can continue sharing resources as the year goes along.

Angela

• #8 Angela Bunyi

Monday, September 26, 2011 at 09:10 PM

Abby,

Oh, I sure hope you don't have one of those Internet history trackers on your site and/or my Internet IP address. I have spent plenty of time going through your resources Abby. What an impressive teacher you are!

Anyway, thank you for sharing. You are a super star in the teacher blogging world. :)

Angela

• #9 Angela Bunyi

Monday, September 26, 2011 at 09:08 PM

Amanda,

Yes it is, Amanda. Yes it is! :)

Smiles,

Angela

• #10 maria thomas

Monday, September 26, 2011 at 08:59 PM

thrilled to see a pinterest post on your site today!

• #11 Abby Mullins

• #12 Abby Mullins

Monday, September 26, 2011 at 07:40 PM

Thanks for the shout-out, Amanda! Pinterest is a *great* resource :)

• #13 Amanda N.

Monday, September 26, 2011 at 07:27 PM

I'm hopelessly addicted to Pinterest...but it's seriously the greatest resource. Possibly ever. I am so excited to follow your pins!

• #14 Angela Bunyi

Monday, September 26, 2011 at 05:39 PM

Hey Justine,

I must admit that it was a little odd to see some of my resources, photos, links, and anchor charts through the search engine. But I'm glad my links and sources have helped.

Now if you want to help me, feel free to share some good ones right here (or add me on Pinterest, and I'll check out your boards).

Smiles,

Angela

• #15 Justine S.

Monday, September 26, 2011 at 05:26 PM

Hello Again Mrs. Bunyi!

Like you, I am addicted to Pinterest. I spent at least half an hour on it each evening, finding countless valuable resources to help me as I struggle to get my second year of teaching up and running. I actually found one of your Anchor Charts last night and have already implemented it in my classroom (the "Tips for Reading Response" chart) to help my students monitor their thinking as they read during Reading Workshop.
    I will be following you on Pinterest- and surely dedicating hours and hours to learning from your successes:)
    Looking forward to learning more from you!
    Justine

• #16 Angela Bunyi

Monday, September 26, 2011 at 04:43 PM

Dear Mrs. Verbic,

Yes, I totally and utterly approve of your addiction to Pinterest. It's the coolest thing since sliced bread (okay, not really- but it is fun in a geeky sort of way).

On another note, if you find a really good resource please let me know! Then again, I just may stalk you under your Pinterest account and repin your work onto my board. :)

Love,

Angela

• #17 C. Verbic

Monday, September 26, 2011 at 04:03 PM

Dear Mrs. Bunyi,
    Thank you for making my addictions so acceptable. I will try my best to actually implement the things that I find on Pinterest and not get carried away by pinning and pinning and pinning and pinning...
    J/K - this post rocks. Can't wait to share more ideas!
    Love,